Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pressure #5 - Tell us about a time when you didn't bend to peer pressure, and you swam against the stream.

More peer pressure, BlogHer? Alright. More peer pressure!

Have you read my biography post from three years ago? That might be a good place to start. To sum it up, though, and you can guess this from my title here if you're new, I am an Orthodox Christian single mother. I was always a single mom, and I am a convert to Orthodoxy. So there's a lot of pressure there.

When I found out I was pregnant, there were three camps of "peer pressure:"  Abortion, Adoption, and Motherhood. Surprisingly, the Motherhood camp was the smallest and quietest. I find this surprising because I was not a particularly young woman (25 years) nor at the time was I uneducated and broke. I was in college and working two jobs. But those things quickly disappeared and the abortion and adoption advocates became even louder.

Abortion was NEVER a consideration. Ever. But I DID consider adoption, if briefly. SO many people were pressuring me to "give my baby a chance" and "give him a better life." One person, when I said that I planned to raise my child, even told me that I had "no right to do that to an innocent child." Certainly, there was a lot of pressure. The adoption agencies I spoke to OBVIOUSLY wouldn't hear of any other choices.

But I chose to raise my son. It wasn't an easy choice, but I don't regret if for a moment.
______________________________________________________________________________

NaBloPoMo January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment