Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pressure #2 What are you currently feeling pressure to do that you don't particularly enjoy?

Can I confess something? I am thirty-three years old, and I have absolutely no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

No, that's not true.

I want to be a LOT of things when I grow up. The problem is that I do NOT want to be an office manager (anymore) or a teacher (of elementary or secondary students), and sometimes it feels like those are the only things I am physically able to do that I can study for.

I've been told over and over again to "learn a trade," and I agree in THEORY. But I have two major problems here. First, I am a nerdy nerd, an academic, a great big giant dork. I love to study. I do research for fun, and I can do it without even really thinking about it. I love the challenge, and I get bored without it. When I am bored or unhappy with something, I don't really tend to stick it out. It's not for lack of trying. It's not that I don't think I SHOULD stick it out. It's that, well, I can recognize a pattern, and I know what I've always done.

And then there are the physical limitations. Most of the "trades" that interest me require long hours standing, bending, lifting, walking, and generally being in fluorescent lighting all day. That's not going to work. I've dropped out of beauty school, music school, and nursing school over health issues.

But I want to run a business. I've got this dream of this great little tea room.......... And a whole lot of naysayers. Myself included.

But I am going back to school for business, and we'll see where we go from there.

___________________________________________________________


NaBloPoMo January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment