Saturday, January 18, 2014

Week 1 - Organized Home Challenge - Countertops and Sinks - Part 1


So, I am starting the 52 Weeks to an Organized Home challenge from Home Storage Solutions 101 as part of my series "Keeping House with Kate". Also, as part of my personal challenge in this series, I am currently getting the house back into "maintenance mode" so I can resume my "room a day" cleaning schedule and my basic daily to-do list.

This month for the flylady habit of the month: Shining your sink, and, ostensibly, keeping it that way.

And this week's Organized Home Challenge is "all about kitchen organization, both overall and with specific emphasis on keeping your countertops and sink clear and clean."

I've been pretty open about my OCD. But here's the tricky thing. When you hear "housekeeping" and "OCD" together, you may get this idea that my house is ALWAYS PERFECT, because I can't stand when it's not, right? That's the common misconception. Let me clear that up for you.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm........

Well, I am not a slob in the strictest sense of the word. I do tend to spend a lot of time tidying up and deep cleaning things. But I really like REALLY DEEP CLEANING. I can't be bothered with the minutiae of daily chores. Those are for normal people. Also, I get sick kind of a lot, and I get distracted even more.

So what we end up with isn't pretty. At all.



WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
Especially if you have OCD
And like a tidy home
and....... are......... human?!

This is just painful.

Really, truly painful. From the hallway, my kitchen looks like this:

So, let's follow some steps here.

First, the planning, according to the Organized Home Challenge.

1. Think about the function of your kitchen.


Okay. My kitchen is used for cooking, storing food, eating, socializing, homework time, family calendar planning, "launch pad" area if you follow Flylady or "family control center" if you follow Home Storage Solutions 101, and it's also the place where stuff gets dropped off when we come in the house through the patio door (which is our main door.) and where the dogs drink their water (but not eat their food). It's the first room you see if you're coming in through the back door, which most people do, since my driveway is on the back of my house. It's ALSO the place where we take vitamins and incidental medications, and since cold/flu remedies and antipyretics (big, fancy word for "stuff that reduces fevers), it's pretty reasonable to keep the thermometers in there.

You should make a list like this. We're probably going to refer to it often, since as we organize our kitchens, we need to either make space for each of these functions or figure out moving some of them to other areas of the house. If you're with me on this, don't sweat. I'm not. We've got time.

If OCD Girl isn't stressing the details, you shouldn't either.

2. Create Useable Counter Space And Clear Your Kitchen Table (Mostly)


Kitchen table? Oh you mean THAT kitchen table.....

Pardon me while I remember how to breathe.

Usable counter space I can manage. But the table?! I am guessing they don't meant to clear off the kitchen table by shoving everything into a box either, huh?

No?

Are you feeling a little overwhelmed? I am feeling a good bit overwhelmed right now. So, back to basics with me.

To start, I did the dishes. Then, because I am a SUPERGENIUS who started this while dinner cooked, I did dishes AGAIN! Dishes, like laundry, are the NEVERENDING CHORE. I do the dishes then have a cup of tea. It feels good. AND THE CUP AND KETTLE ARE NOW DIRTY DISHES! CURSE YOU PERRY THE PLATYPUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then it got cold. REALLY COLD. Like MINUS FIVE cold. And even with trickling water through the pipes, they froze. That's pretty awesome. And by awesome, I mean, HORRIBLE. See, there was a leak OUTSIDE........

Maintenance came to de-ice the pipes and put a heater in the laundry room to keep them from freezing again. Hot water and pressure restored, they headed out to the next property.

And the heater blew out my power.
So I sat in the dark for 24 hours.
And it got cold again.
And the pipes froze.

So, I was without running water for eleven days, and that is why this post is officially a BEFORE post. I will finish up the cleaning and organizing of my counters and sinks hopefully today, and then you will get an "after" post!


__________________________________________________________________


5 comments:

  1. Oh, how awful for you! I ran water through the outside faucet and made it through the below 0 temps. Then, I stopped checking the faucet and, yes, it froze about 3 feet into the house very near the join to the pipe that goes to the water heater. Panic! Past experience reminded me not to use a space heater, or the fuse to the furnace would blow, so I spent hours with a hair dryer, inch by inch, and fortunately no leaks. You probably needed a vacation after 11 days without water. I was ready for one after only 6 hours. Thanks for the link to 52 Weeks to Organize, etc. We use the Julian calendar, so tomorrow is Theophany, ending the holidays. After that, I will get with the organizing program. Looking forward to reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiddo was in the hospital for Theophany on the new calendar, and it's his most favorite holiday other than Pascha. So we will be in the local ROCOR church tomorrow for Theophany!

      Delete
    2. Hope you had a lovely day and that he got as drenched as he wanted to be. I am usually sad by the end of the day, because it's the end of the holidays and I have to take down my decorations tomorrow. .

      Delete
    3. Ludmilla, Father was so delightful. It was cold, and I had explained that my boy had been very sick, and wanted to be there, and we asked for special prayers and all that. Father made it a point to have a bit of fun with the boy without drenching him so much in the cold that he'd catch a chill and put his health in more danger.

      Would you please add my beloved to your prayers? He's not been doing well lately, and we are currently waiting (well, I am waiting. He's playing and unaware that I am waiting not-so-patiently) for the results of the blood work that was done last week.

      Delete
    4. Yes, you are both in my kindest thoughts and my prayers.

      Delete